Tips on Water Damage
Water damage at home or in your place of business does not need to be a traumatic experience. Consider these 5 tips to better prepare.
- Look up your insurance coverage. Most renter’s or homeowners insurance policies don’t cover flooding, or even a sewer backup. Find out what coverage you have.
- Keep a record of all of your belongings. Take photos and keep copies of a receipt or other documents for the more valuable items. Store a copy of these records online or at another location. If you do experience water damage, it can be easy to forget about certain items.
- Take steps to limit the risk of water damage within your home by checking pipes frequently and paying attention to any indicators of water damage, such as dripping sounds in the walls, dark spots on the ceiling, or significant change in your water bill.
- Set up your home so that it is less at risk of damage from heavy rains or flooding by ensuring that your roof is sound. Make sure there are no cracks in the foundation. Check that the landscaping around your home is sloped to direct water away from your foundation, rather than toward it.
- Find an expert you can count on. Water damage can be overwhelming, and you don’t want to be desperately searching for a water restoration expert at 3 AM when the pipes break.
About SERVPRO of Elk Grove / Laguna
SERVPRO of Elk Grove / Laguna specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.