Protect Your Home From a Fire
If You Are Certain That You Have Time, Take Steps to Protect Your Home
- Close windows, vents, doors, Venetian blinds or non-combustible window coverings and heavy drapes.Remove lightweight curtains.
- Shut off gas at the meter.Turn off pilot lights.
- Open fireplace damper.Close fireplace screens.
- Move flammable furniture into the center of the home away from windows and sliding-glass doors.
- Turn on a light in each room to increase the visibility of your home in heavy smoke.
- Seal attic and ground vents with pre-cut plywood or commercial seals.
- Turn off propane tanks.
- Place combustible patio furniture inside.
- Connect the garden hose to outside taps.
- Set up the portable gasoline-powered pump.
- Place lawn sprinklers on the roof and near above-ground fuel tanks.Wet the roof.
- Wet or remove shrubs within 15 feet of the home.
- Gather fire tools.